1. What are gels used for?
Lighting gel sheets are used primarily to change or filter the color of light. There are several categories of gel sheets, including color effect, color correction, diffusion, reflection and scrim. Gel sheets are typically used by theatre directors, technical directors, production managers, and stage crews to change the color of light in theatrical or stage productions Gels are also used for tv, film and movie production purposes. Gel sheets can also be used to block unwanted light, with the use of black foil, from a shoot.
3. What size (dimensions) are Lee Filters gel sheets? Are gels available in a format other than a gel sheet?
- Standard regular temperature gel sheets are in the dimensions of 21 inches by 24 inches.
- High temperature gel sheets are in the dimensions of 21 inches by 22 inches.
- Zircon gel sheets are in the dimensions of 24 inches by 24 inches.
- Gels are also available in rolls:
- Standard color gel rolls are 48 inches wide by 25 feet in length.
- Zircon gel rolls are 4 feet by 10 feet.
- Some gel colors are also available as "quick rolls". Quick rolls are available in 2 inch increments (2,4,6,8 inches in height) and are 25 feet in length. The customer selects the width inch increment that they need for their application.
- Most Polyester coloured effect filters are 0.08mm thick
- Diffusion filters vary in thickness
- Zircon gels are 0.18 mm thick
15. Lee Filters has introduced an LED specific line of filters called the Zircon gels. Zircon gels are great for use with LED lighting applications. To see the full line of Zircon gels, you can go to the Zircon product section. A new concept in LED filter design. With a lifespan of up to 200 times longer than standard lighting filters, the new Zircon range is designed to last. Zircon is a new concept in LED filter design that has been designed from the ground-up for exceptional performance with LED Lights.